A roundup of domestic and international news.
UNICEF - The COVID-19 pandemic has led to an increase in the vulnerabilities of children at risk in Romania, the reduction of economic activity causing a rise in the number of families whose incomes have decreased, according to a report by UNICEF published on Wednesday. Thus, the most vulnerable children are those living in poverty, those at risk of violence, abuse or neglect, those living in overcrowded housing and whose parents are working abroad. The main difficulties of the communities, generated by the COVID-19 pandemic, are compliance with isolation rules, insecurity of parents' jobs and lack of hygiene and protection materials. There are also difficulties in accessing medical services and educational services.
CORONAVIRUS – As many as 165 new infections have been reported in Romania in the last 24 hours, according to the Group for Strategic Communication. The death toll has risen to 1,219. Over 18.600 cases have been confirmed across the country. Over 12,000 people have recovered. More than 90% of the victims had underlying health conditions, according to the National Institute for Public Health. Last week the largest numbers of infections were reported in Bucharest and in Suceava, Neamt, Botosani and Arad counties. One in six people infected with coronavirus is a medical professional. Broken down in terms of age, nearly 77% of the victims are 60 and above. Over half are men. Meanwhile more than 3,000 Romanians living abroad have tested positive for coronavirus, mostly in Italy, Spain, Germany, Great Britain and France, of whom over 100 have died.
DEFENSE - The country's Supreme Defense Council is today convening in a videoconference chaired by President Klaus Iohannis. High on the agenda is the National Defense Strategy for 2020-2024, available army forces that can be posted for external missions and operations in 2021 as well as the modernization program for the Romanian army by 2026 and beyond. The Council will also look into hot topics in the field of national security, the Presidency reports.
GOVERNMENT - The Bucharest Government has today convened to discuss a number of decisions and emergency ordinances. PM Ludovic Orban has said at the start of the meeting that the draft emergency order instating new measures after June 1st will be read before the ministers. On Tuesday, Health Minister Nelu Tataru said that restrictions would be further eased at the beginning of June and gave as an example the opening of terraces, on condition that safety distancing is furter observed. According to the minister, the beach on the Black Sea Coast may also be opened as of July or August.
TAROM – The Romanian National Air Company TAROM on Tuesday introduced flights to Rome and Milan and back. Rules imposed by the state of alert are being observed at the airports and on board the planes. Allowed to travel from Romania to Italy are Italian citizens, seasonal workers with a labor contract and employees in the transport sector, while from Italy to Romania can only travel Romanian citizens who want to come to the country. There will be a similar flight on Wednesday from Bucharest to Paris and back. (Translated by Elena Enache)