August 20, 2026 UPDATE
A roundup of national and international news.
Newsroom, 20.08.2026, 20:00
PAY LAW – The leaders of the former ruling coalition in Bucharest will hold another meeting with President Nicuşor Dan next week to discuss the draft law on pay in the public sector, presidential adviser Radu Burnete said on Thursday. Following an initial round of consultations, Burnete said the leaders of the PSD, PNL, USR and UDMR had received a new version of the draft, which he said, in principle, complies with Romania’s commitments under the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (PNRR), as well as with budgetary constraints. According to Burnete, the draft pay law affects more than one million people. The main issue raised by the European Commission regarding the initial draft was the increase in the public sector wage bill from 8 billion to more than 12 billion lei (about 2.4 billion euros), without clearly specifying the source of funding.
SOPRANO – Romanian soprano Ileana Cotrubaş, one of the country’s most important voices of the 20th century and a prominent figure in the international opera world, has died at the age of 87. Born in Galaţi, south-eastern Romania, on 9 June 1939, into a family of musicians, she began her training at the age of nine with the Romanian Radio Children’s Choir. In 1952, she moved to Bucharest to attend the music school in the city. She made her debut at the Bucharest Opera in 1964. During her career, Ileana Cotrubaş performed on prestigious stages around the world, including the Vienna State Opera, the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, La Scala in Milan and the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
DRONE – A naval drone was destroyed Thursday by the Romanian military using the onboard gun of a Romanian F-16 fighter jet in the area of the Neptun Deep gas project in the Black Sea, Defence Minister Radu Miruţă said on Facebook. He said he had been informed by the Coast Guard that the naval drone was located several hundred metres from the gas extraction operations at the Neptun Deep platform, in Romania’s exclusive economic zone, 80 nautical miles east of Constanţa. A command cell was set up within the Ministry of National Defence, which requested, at NATO level, for the operation to be placed under the command of the Romanian Armed Forces. Following an assessment and in coordination with the President of Romania, the decision was taken to destroy the drone in order to protect the lives of the several hundred people working on the platform and secure critical infrastructure.
DEBT – Romania’s public debt has exceeded 60% of GDP and, under these circumstances, the government cannot approve measures that increase total spending on public sector wages or social assistance, Finance Minister Alexandru Nazare wrote on Facebook on Wednesday. “With public debt above 60%, fiscal and budgetary discipline is an obligation, not an option,” the minister said, adding that exceeding this threshold triggers additional rules to control spending and gradually reduce the debt. Alexandru Nazare also noted that Romania remains subject to the excessive deficit procedure, while the fiscal consolidation plan agreed with the European Commission sets clear limits on spending growth. For 2026, the deficit is estimated at 6% of GDP, following 7.9% in 2025 and a record 9.3% in 2024.
RAIL TRANSPORT – Romania’s interim government has approved a new five-year Activity and Performance Contract for the Romanian Railway Company (CFR). The document sets out the responsibilities of the railway infrastructure manager and the funding to be provided by the state. It also provides funding for the maintenance and operation of the network, repairs and infrastructure renewal, as well as railway modernisation and development projects. Performance indicators will also be monitored, allowing CFR SA’s activity to be assessed each year. For passengers, the government decision also provides for improved services and facilities at modernised railway stations. Transport Ministry officials had warned that failure to approve the contract could lead to funding allocations for the company being blocked and, consequently, create problems in ensuring the continuity of its operations. On Wednesday, the government had adopted a five-year Railway Strategy, aimed at modernising the rail network, which has suffered from years of underfunding. The focus will be on halting the technical deterioration of the railway infrastructure. Last year, almost 9,800 km of railway track, or more than 72% of the infrastructure, required renewal works. The strategy also aims to attract more passengers and increase the volume of freight transported by rail. (EE)